Ep.92: The Dangers of Burnout and How To Promote Individual Resiliency with Marian Faller
No matter how well your remodeling company is doing, how well organized you are, life can get hectic at times. You work through it all, but this can leave you vulnerable to burnout. Which can lead to an avalanche of problems.
In this episode, Marian Faller discusses burnout with Victoria and Mark, sharing its causes, the signs to look for in yourself and others, and how you can promote resiliency within your company.
Marian is a psychotherapist, and owns Cornerstone Consulting and Cornerstone Counseling in Westerly, RI. She also serves as a consultant for individuals, families, and companies wanting to address mental health concerns. She also happens to be married to our own Tim Faller.
Burnout happens gradually, says Marian, and so gradually that you may not notice it until it’s too late. People experiencing burnout can be irritable, miss days of work, and can even get to the point of clinical depression. Burnout can affect individuals as well as entire organizations. Marian talks about what to know to keep yourself and your employees mentally healthy, including:
- The signs and symptoms of burnout
- How physical health can cause burnout
- How burnout can spread from one individual
- Why ignoring the causes of burnout won’t make it go away
- The genetic and chemical components of mental health
- What folic acid has to do with it
- Promoting resilience in yourself and others
- Focusing on what went right vs. what went wrong
- What we can learn from Winnie the Pooh and Cleopatra
- Modeling good habits and behaviors
- Setting the right tone
- Using hardships to promote resiliency
- And more …
Knowing the signs and symptoms of burnout — and how to help yourself and others through it — can make a big difference in your own happiness and your team’s job satisfaction.