Ep.71: Strategy Isn’t Enough with Brian Gottlieb
A successful remodeling business isn’t only dependent on tactics or the larger strategy behind them. A company’s culture plays a crucial role in executing any business strategy.
In this episode, Brian Gottlieb discusses the key steps needed for a business to implement their desired strategy with Victoria and Mark.
Brian Gottlieb is the founder and CEO of Tundraland Home Improvements, which serves all of Wisconsin. He started his business on a plastic folding table, with just $3,000 in cash. Today, Tundraland employs more than 220 people, and revenues are in excess of $42 million. We’re excited that Brian will also be a speaker at the Remodelers Summit in Orlando this September.
He defines strategy as an integrated set of choices an organization makes to position against the competition, add value to their customers, and add value to the company. Brian’s “a-ha” moment came last summer, when he understood that when a community is at its full potential, we’re all in a better place; and when an organization is at its full potential, we’re all in a better place. He calls Tundraland a training organization — developing an employee to his or her full potential is a key point of the company’s strategy. Brian describes the four ways to define your culture, and how to make it stronger, including:
- How building a strong culture is like building a ship
- How realizing potential depends on others
- Why Brian doesn’t have drawers in his office
- Examples of the wrong strategies
- Knowing how to add value for you customers
- Why you shouldn’t hire people like you
- Finding the root causes of your weaknesses
- Why throwing dollars at a problem doesn’t work
- The differences between vision and a road map
- Why firing someone should never be a surprise
- And more …
Including how Brian sees his role in his organization, what he does, and what it means to the culture of his organization.
See Brian Speak at the Annual Remodeler’s Summit
We’re thrilled that Brian will be joining us for two sessions at the 2019 Remodeler’s Summit, Sept. 24-25, in Orlando:
To learn more the Summit event and our line-up of other great speakers, go to Remodelerssummit.com!