Ep.70: The Most Important Part of a Remodeling Project with Robert Kauffman
So many things go into a successful remodeling project — the design, the materials, the actual build — but what’s really the most important part? It’s your client.
Remodeling a home can change your clients’ lives. Robert Kauffman says the secret to a successful remodel is working upfront to get to know his clients to the greatest extent possible.
In this episode, Robert shares his story with Victoria and Mark, and how and why he gets to know his clients so well. Getting to know your clients takes asking questions — and listening to the answers.
Robert is the owner of Kauffman Design Services in Atlanta, GA. He’s worked with architectural firms, as a remodeling contractor, and currently as a remodeling designer. He has never taken for granted the trust it takes for clients to open their lives up to him.
On his first remodeling project, Robert realized that digging for answers from clients helped him understand how the clients wanted to live in their home. Each client has a unique story, Robert says, and getting them to open up to tell it is vital to understanding their real goals. He talks about how to get the answers you want, including:
- His book of 1,000 questions
- Why asking what people do in their bedrooms isn’t creepy
- How different people use identical homes
- Guiding clients to direct the project
- How family dynamics affect the questions and final designs
- Observing the non-verbal clues and cues
- Putting all the details together at the end
- How long it takes, and how to do it
- And more …
The more you understand your clients’ lives, and how they live in the home you’re remodeling, the better your projects will be.