Ep.62: Hitting a Schedule Every Time with April Bettinger
Hitting a schedule every time in construction is possible if you pay proper attention to planning and have a purposeful attitude.
In this episode, April Bettinger joins Tim and Steve to talk about the best practices and the common pitfalls to avoid when creating and managing an on-time project that ends with delighted clients.
April is the founder and owner of Nip Tuck Remodeling in Snohomish, WA. For more than 30 years, she’s carved out a respected niche in the construction industry. Her father was a custom homebuilder, so April grew up watching and learning about excellent customer service, and what it takes to build a high-quality project. April has held key roles in finance, budgeting, customer service, team building, and sales management — preparing her to own and operate her own company. Nip Tuck Remodeling was founded in 2010, with a vision and determination to create a construction company with extraordinary craftsmanship and a focus on professionalism. Nip Tuck was named a Big50 remodeler in 2018, and ranked the No. 50 Fastest Growing Private Company in 2018 by the Puget Sound Business Journal.
April and her estimator create the master schedule, then it’s turned over to the production manager, who is responsible for creating and managing the job schedules on BuilderTrend. One huge factor in staying on track once you’re in production is getting the schedules done and materials ordered a month before the project starts. She talks about why that works, and other aspects of keeping your jobs on schedule, including:
- Why the project manager has to create and own the schedule
- How to break the details down and work with them
- Setting pivotal goals for each week in the schedule
- Using goals for client satisfaction
- Helping everyone buy in to the system
- How much time it takes to pre-plan
- Why you should make the time investment
- How sales and design affect the schedule
- Handling change orders in the schedule
- Getting clients to think ahead during selections
- Building in reasonable wiggle room
- Leaving nothing TBD
- Handling design changes and heading them off
- Beating weather challenges in the schedule
- How to deal with damaged materials
- And more …
If you believe you can hit project schedules, you can. If you think it will never happen, it won’t. It’s all about the attitude.
See April Speak at the Annual Remodeler’s Summit
We’re thrilled that April Bettinger will be speaking at the 2019 Remodeler’s Summit, on September 24-25, in Orlando:
To learn more the Summit event and our line-up of other great speakers, go to Remodelerssummit.com!