Ep.56: The Secret to Successful Employee Reviews with Allison Iantosca – PowerTips Unscripted
When it comes to performance reviews, the times, they are a-changin’. Though some managers and employees might still like a good old-fashioned numeric ranking, most prefer to take charge of their destinies — working with together to set goals and spur professional development.
Allison Iantosca talks to Victoria and Mark about why we all need performance reviews and using them to create an engaged and developmental relationship with your employees.
Allison is the second-generation owner of 40-year-old F.H. Perry Builder, a Boston-area custom remodeling firm focused on building homes and relationships of lasting value.
What happens on the inside of your organization reflects on what happens outside — with your clients and Trade Partners, says Alison. Taking care of your team’s experiences is a strategic step to making the client experience better. She leads you through the most important parts of a successful review process, including:
- How often you should do reviews
- Learning to love the process
- Having the appreciation conversation first
- Meeting people where they are
- Making changes make sense to the employee
- The power of open-ended questions on an evaluation form
- Giving your team time to think about it all
- Getting to the big picture
- Handling the tough conversations
- Tools that can help support your team’s growth
- And so much more …
There can be so much anxiety and fear about performance reviews, but there doesn’t need to be. By presenting them as opportunities for growth and positive change, you can create a better culture and a stronger company.